Monday, May 12, 2008

Re-Discovering the Joy of Reading

Throughout childhood and adolescence, and into adulthood, I have always been a bit of a bookworm. During the past few years, though, the act of simultaneously balancing full-time work, post-secondary education, marriage, and all the other important things of my life has taken its toll, and my reading has been neglected.

Some people that are very close to me are tremendously well-read, and they inspire me to read more voraciously. To them I say thank you. I recently re-organized my bookshelf and counted the number of books I own but have not read. Twenty-two books of various genres, including theological, reference, personal development, business, classical, fiction, and literature, await my attention.

So I started reading again, and while I make no commitments as to my posting frequency, I will try to log my take-aways from books that I read on a somewhat regular basis. The Bible is my primary reading material. I do believe it is God's inspired Word to all humanity, I read it from that perspective, and I intend to reflect that in my posts. I do try to read other beneficial books, and I would like to summarize my thoughts from those as well. Of course, pop fiction would be excluded from this criteria, but it does have its place, and items from that genre may find their way onto my reading list on occasion as well.

This exercise is more for my own benefit than anything else; however, if you end up reading this blog for any reason, I would be interested to hear your thoughts on my thoughts on others' thoughts. If you've read the same things, or not, and you'd like to share your ideas, I would like to hear from you.

No comments: